Travel – Turn it up, in Tenerife!
Adrian Gillan feels winter heat in and around Playa de las Americas in south western Tenerife!
Tenerife is the largest of the seven isles that make up the Canary Islands: home to banana plantations and tropical groves, all dominated by Mount Teide – Spain’s highest peak; Earth’s third largest volcano!
Enjoy winter sun around the buzzing south western resort of Playa de las Americas on this high-contrast Canary, also exploring mountainous volcanic and coastal surrounds, plus vibrant capital Santa Cruz.
Situated near both Playa de las Americas and Tenerife South airport, the 5-star Sandos San Blas Nature Resort (Calle Greñamora s/n. Urb. San Blas, Golf del Sur, Tenerife; T: +34 922 74 90 10;) boasts two golf courses, a nature reserve, direct access to the nearby sandy beach, eight outdoor pools and two restaurants (La Cueva de Atxona buffet; and La Proa a la carte eatery); as well as numerous other facilities and activities, including a gym, tennis courts and climbing wall, not to mention hiking, biking and rowing. Enjoy the evening entertainment too, with live music, theatre and magic, on either the indoor or outdoor stages; plus lots of daytime fun for families and kids. Take a 2-hour guided tour of the onsite nature museum, “historical experience tunnel” plus outdoors reserve ravine! Pamper yourself in the wonderful poolside Magek Spa, taking a relaxing-yet-invigorating thermal circuit amidst sauna, showers and pools; then a relaxing massage or ritual treatment. The hotel’s 331 elegant rooms combine space with comfort, featuring free Wi-Fi plus hydro-massage tubs. Many rooms have ocean views, or maybe even splash out on a sprawling suite! The friendly and professional service truly shines throughout the resort – nothing is too much trouble for the amazing staff here. And the all-inclusive full-board wrist-band package truly delivers – even down to complimentary local wines and beers at mealtimes. Free hotel shuttle to/from Playa de lasAmericas twice daily too!
TO SEE ‘N DO
- Playa de las Americas – Purpose-built holiday resort in south western Tenerife, built in the 1960s beside the town of Los Cristianos and stretching round to Costa Adeje, featuring restaurants, attractions, beaches, bars and nightclubs.
- Teide National Park – Unique, barren landscape used as a backdrop to countless films. Ascend by foot and/or cable car to Teide’s peak (3718 metres); gawp at strangely-eroded Roques de García.
- Puerto de la Cruz – On the northern coast, lies tad less touristy Puerto de la Cruz with its black volcanic beach, old harbour, César Manrique-designed Largo Martinez lido complex, Loro Parque (ParrotPark), Botanical Gardens, old churches, quaint eateries and Agatha Christie connections.
- Santa Cruz – Tenerife’s bustling capital, over 200,000-thronged. Wonderful peaceful Parque García Sanabria, lengthy Rambla del General Franco, plus bar-brimming old town area too.
- La Laguna – Tenerife’s former capital, pre Santa Cruz. A World Heritage Site.
TO BOOZE ‘N CRUISE
Playa de las Americas
- Playaflor (Rafael Puig, 3, Playa de las Américas;) – Rainbow-flagged chill-out bar on main street.
Puerto de la Cruz
- Anderson Club (Avenida Generalísimo 24, Puerto de la Cruz) – Dance bar.
- Vampi’s (Familia Betancourt, Puerto de la Cruz;) – Disco.
- Babylon Sauna (Blanco 34, Puerto de la Cruz;) – Sauna.
- Playa de los Patos – Secluded, largely gay, nudist beach 4km outside Puerto de la Cruz.
- Blue Dreams (San Miguel 12,Santa Cruz) – Dance bar with drag shows and dark room.
- Acuario Sauna (Santiago Beyro 9, Santa Cruz;) – Sauna.
OTHER USEFUL CONTACTS
- Monarch, the scheduled leisure airline, operates flights to Tenerife from London Gatwick, London Luton, Birmingham, East Midlands, Leeds Bradford and Manchester airports with fares, including taxes, starting from £58.99 one way (£99.99 return). In addition to year-round low fares, Monarch also offers a range of products and services, both on the ground and in-flight. Everyone is allocated a seat at check-in but seats can be pre-booked from £5.99 per one-way flight, to ensure that families and groups are seated together. For those looking for added comfort, extra legroom seats are also available, offering up to six inches of extra space, from only £24.99 one-way. You can do your online check-in between 18 days and 4½ hours pre departure. A great range of tasty hot and cold meals can be pre-booked or purchased onboard. For more info, or to book Monarch flights, holidays or hotels.